Expanded Newsletter Archive is Live!

We now have nearly a quarter century of The Ohm Town News on our site for your reading pleasure.  Check it out!

Many thanks to Beanie (KJ7LQ) for loaning me her newsletter binder dating back to 1993.  Without her efforts in preserving club history, the addition of these newsletters from the way back machine to the club web site would not have been possible.  Also, many thanks to Dale (KB7UPW) for the same…  He was able to provide me digital copies from present day all the way back to 2000.  As you may know, I already published the copies Dale provided onto the site many weeks ago.  The paper copies from Beanie however, are another story…

Weighing in at, well, I don’t know how much they weigh.  But, measuring out as a stack approximately 2″ in height.  Being almost entirely complete from where Dale’s collection left off in 2000 to January of 1993.  I wasn’t too sure if I really wanted to take up the task of scanning all of those pages into PDF format.  But, I figured this was too important not to do.  So I devised a system, an assembly line of sorts, to make the process go as smooth as possible and got to work.

Initially, I figured a flatbed scanner would be the ideal device to use.  It would probably churn out the best resolution copies.  But they are also slow, and I don’t own one anymore.  So I used a scanner app on my iPad (Scanner Pro by Readdle).  In this one task the app probably paid for itself many times over.  I masked off the counter space with black construction paper to create a “green screen” of sorts.  Construction paper was also used between pages for proper page detection and cropping while capturing individual images.  I also learned the importance of proper lighting.  With these issues ironed out, work began…

Many hours passed, having good conversation with Shannon (K2SEC) as well as podcasts to listen to…  And capturing was complete.  All of the files needed to be renamed and opened to check for accuracy on my laptop.  I only had to go back and redo a couple issues, not too bad.  Like I said earlier, the image quality would likely have turned out better on a flatbed scanner.  I also think the task would have taken many times longer to complete in this manner.  I opted for black & white processing to keep the file size down after experimenting with grayscale.  This resulted in smaller files that are perfectly readable, however the quality of photos leaves a lot to be desired.  I’ll add, these originals were printed on a monochrome printer so not too much was lost in the transition.

I encourage all who are interested to dive into the archive and enjoy a good read.  There is a lot of neat stuff in there.

73,

Chris (K7CTC)